Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Russians Fail to Deliver Shocker


Don't act like I don't know what you were expecting when you saw the word "shocker." You naughty readers.

Truly, though, the news from Russia is no shocker. What else were Irina Fyet and Irina Shepitko expecting from a city that has only ever had one gay pride parade (which ended in anti-gay violence, at that)?

In fact I think this couple knew precisely what to expect from the Russian government. That did not, however, stop them from trying. Considering that their attempt to get a marriage license precedes a planned gay pride parade by just a few days, I'm sure their story will be getting a lot of political attention from the international community, which is exactly what should happen.

These women seem, to me, to be like twin reincarnations of Rosa Parks. Just replace "American" and "black" with "Russian" and "lesbians" and you have about the same result. Sure, I feel their pain for not being equally recognized under the law. My home state, at present, wouldn't allow me to marry a suitable woman, either. But I also recognize the political value of their move, just like Rosa Parks recognized the political value of something as simple as a refusal to give up a bus seat:

"People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

I really hope I'm not the first person to draw the Rosa Parks comparison, because I have a feeling it will catch on like wildfire in that "Iraq-is-the-new-Vietnam" way, but I stand by it. What seems like a simple gesture will have great political consequences, and I applaud these women for doing it. Especially in a country where a gay pride parade is called "spiritual terrorism."

"We're scared of the extremists, but I hope that they won't be too harsh on us as we're two sweet girls. But being gay is dangerous in Russia," Fyet told Reuters.

Dangerous indeed. The fact that these two were committed and loving enough to put themselves at risk to make this statement is truly moving--unless you're some sort of soulless, homophobic monster, of course. While they have to do with a Canadian wedding for the time being, I hope that the small step they took today will eventually bring Russia to the point where they can enjoy equal rights on their home soil.

"We have love, we have happiness. We want to be together forever and get married, in Russia."

"If society will know about us, see that we are normal, there would be a better relationship for (gays) at work, things would be simpler for us."

Here's to you, Irina and Irina. I hope other gay Russians take your lead and do their part to push the country closer to equality. Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments: